Book Reports and Glory Holes

I read pretty much anything, but genre fiction is my great love in life.

Rincewind is my spirit animal, which says it all really.

No Place Like Holmes - Jason Lethcoe *I recieved an ARC of this book from Net-galley.*If I was a kid I think I would have enjoyed this much more than I did. It’s a cute book, but the description of everything Griffin sees with his all-knowing detectives’ eyes gets a little bit irritating. His uncle’s an ass, as it the obsession with beating Sherlock Holmes, but luckily towards the end of the book that gets dropped. I was not a fan of the whole twee “I’ve got a robot butler named Watts and a Moriarty of my own” bit, but I doubt a younger child would pick up on the similarity. I thought the steampunk elements seemed pretty forced, but its big business these days so it’s understandable. This book was very well written, the mystery was engaging, and it was fun to ‘solve’ it along with Griffin. He’s a good kid and a great role model. I especially liked the mini-mystery at the end of the books as I was a huge fan of Encyclopedia Brown and the CLUE series as a kid so it was nice to see that the tradition lives on. I would definitely give this book to a kid, as I think they would really enjoy it. Overall it was a great children’s book read! *This is a Christian book. Griffin’s father is an Especial minister, so there is some talk of praying and God. It’s not shown in a huge way, nor is it a really big plot point, but it is there.

The Legend of Eli Monpress