Book Reports and Glory Holes

I read pretty much anything, but genre fiction is my great love in life.

Rincewind is my spirit animal, which says it all really.

Desperate Duchesses - Eloisa James Eh, I wasn't too impressed by this book. I used to read a lot of romance novels when I was a teenager and this one felt really "Meh" to me. The main character (what was her name?) was so incredibly bland and boring compared to her cousin Jemma, who actually had a plot driving her actions. The way the MC fell in and out of love with Viller's seemed too fake me, and that fact than Damion fell in "love" with her right after she set her cap on Viller's was just so tropey I literally rolled my eyes. Her father was crazy and so cardboard and the fact that he refused to let the MC go to her seasons was just contrived. Sometimes I feel that the historical romances don’t want to use a historically accurate marriageable age (16 to 18) so they come up with whatever crazy reason they can to make the woman older, and thus more normal to our modern eyes. I know that romance novels can and do utilize tropes and clichés most of the time, but to me, this was not a very skillful use of those great old standards that usually work in romance novels.

The Legend of Eli Monpress